What information do we collect about you?
The following types of personal information about you may be collected:
Name, Address, Phone numbers, Email address
Information you provide us about your interests including the type of vehicles you are interested in.
Website and Communication Usage:
Sales and Services Information:
Relating to purchases and services, including complaints and claims.
Credit and Anti-Fraud Information:
Information which establishes your identity, such as driving licences, passports and utility bills.
Information about transactions, requests for credit and non-payment of debts with us and third parties and credit ratings from credit reference agencies.
Fraud, offences, suspicious transactions, politically exposed person and sanctions lists where your details are included.
Vehicle Configuration Details:
Information about the features and current settings of your vehicle (identified by the Vehicle Identification Number).
Vehicle Technical Information:
About how the engine and systems within the vehicle perform.
How will we use the information about you?
We need to collect information about you to process your enquiry, order and manage your account. We will also contact you by Email/SMS/Phone/Mail about other products, services and events we think may be of interest to you. You can opt out at any time.
If you agree, we shall pass on your personal information to our Group of companies so that they may offer you their products and services.
Bowker Motor Group will not share your information for marketing purposes with companies outside of the Group.
In processing your enquiry or order, we may send your details to, and also use information from credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies. We may also share your personal information with our suppliers and third parties to provide you with the best products and services.
How long will we keep your personal information for?
We retain your information only as long as is necessary for the purpose for which we obtained them and any other permitted linked purposes. If information is used for two purposes we will retain it until the purpose with the latest period expires; but we will stop using it for the purpose with a shorter period once that period expires.
We restrict access to your information to only those persons who need to use it for the relevant purpose.
Our retention periods are based on business needs and your information that is no longer needed is removed securely.
Use for marketing:
We retain your personal information for as long as is necessary, but only for the relevant purpose that we collected it for. You retain the right to remove this consent at any point.
Use to perform a contract:
In relation to your information used to perform any contractual obligation with you we may retain that data whilst the contract remains in force plus one year to deal with any queries or claims thereafter.
Where claims are contemplated:
In relation to any information where we reasonably believe it will be necessary to defend or prosecute or make a claim against you, us or a third party, we may retain that data for as long as that claim could be pursued.
Legal grounds for processing of your personal information.
The use of your information set out above is permitted under EU data protection law on the basis of these principal legal grounds:
- Where you have agreed to the use (you will have been presented with our Marketing Agreement from our member of staff at time of enquiry, booking or purchase). You may opt out at any time. See ‘How to contact us’ below.
- Where necessary to enter into or perform our contract with you
- Where we need to use it to comply with our legal obligations
- Where we use it to achieve a legitimate interest and our reasons for using it outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights (our legitimate interests include promoting the Bowker Motor Group businesses and tailoring news, invitations and offers to your profile, assessing your credit-worthiness, detecting fraud and criminal activities)
- Where necessary for us to defend, prosecute or make a claim against you, us or a third party
There may be uses that are permitted on the basis of other grounds; where this is the case we will use reasonable endeavours to identify the ground and communicate it you as soon as possible after becoming aware of the new basis.
How do we keep your personal information safe?
We use a variety of security measures, including encryption and authentication tools, to help protect and maintain security, integrity and availability of your information.
Although data transmission over the Internet or websites cannot be guaranteed to be secure, we and our business partners work hard to maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information in accordance with applicable data protection requirements.
We would like to send you information about products and services of ours and other companies in our Group which may be of interest to you. If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may opt out at any time.
You have a right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing purposes or sharing your information with other members of the Group. If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please email, phone or write to us at the address below.
Access to your information and correction
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please email or write to us at the address below.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
How to contact us
Phone: 01772 769976
Post: GDPR Core Group, Bowker Motor Group, Customs House, Customs Way, Preston, PR2 2UW
Under certain conditions you have the right to require us to:
- Provide you with further detail on the use we make of your information
- Provide you with a copy of your information
- Update any inaccuracies in the information we hold about you
- Delete any information about you that we no longer have a lawful ground to use
- Remove you from any direct marketing lists
- Restrict our use of your personal information
- Cease carrying out certain processing activities based on the legitimate interests ground unless our reasons for undertaking that processing outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights (please refer to section on ‘Legal grounds for processing of your personal information’).
Your exercise of these rights is subject to certain exemptions to safeguard the public interest (e.g. the prevention or detection of crime), our interests (e.g. the maintenance of legal privilege) and the rights of third parties.
If you are dissatisfied with our use of your information or our response to any exercise of these rights you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates the processing of personal data in the UK. Please visit https://ico.org.uk/